The Garden Route has become one of South Africa’s most popular holiday destinations and, as such, has developed an extensive infrastructure and various activities which appeal to all walks of life. Families flock to this friendly environment, and there are several venues which cater for family fun in Knysna.
- The Featherbed Nature Reserve offers activities that kiddies love, such as boat cruises, tractor rides, and short walks with great views.
- Birds of Eden will fascinate visitors of all ages with its giant aviary, the largest in the world, with elevated walkways set in amongst the forest. Smaller children will go ‘ape’ for Monkeyland, next door, where they can view many kinds of unusual primates.
- Puzzle Park is suitable for all ages and will keep parents puzzling away for hours along with their children. A large wooden maze and a series of puzzle challenges in the forest make up this brain-busting adventure.
- The Elephant Sanctuary, near Plettenberg Bay, is a wonderful learning experience for families with older children. Information and interaction are the main attractions and visitors can walk with the elephants, brush them and even ride them.
- Adventureland features the usual water slides and rides that all respectable seaside towns should have, and provides a great day’s entertainment for children and their parents.
- Cango Caves, with its Ostrich and butterfly farm, has activities for all ages of children to enjoy and they love the drama of scrambling around in the caves like action heroes.
- The Tsitsikamma Treetop canopy trail is perfect for bonding with your offspring as you dangle precariously 30 metres above the forest floor. Children under 9 years old are not allowed on this activity.
Other activities, offered by a range of different operators, include walks, mountain biking and boat excursions which can be adjusted to suit participants of all ages.
Naturally, the Knysna beaches are a fantastic attraction for visitors of all ages and a wide range of beach activities can be enjoyed on the shores of Knysna.