With The Turbine Hotel & Spa as your base, Knysna is your oyster!
For The Chilled Couple
If you’re looking for a romantic getaway with your other half that comprises mainly of relaxing, eating wonderful seafood and lounging by the pool, we’ve got you. Life is fast-paced enough without having to exhaust your reserves on vacation!
Here are some ideas for your ideal itinerary:
- A rejuvenating couple’s treatment at The Turbine Spa. Indulge in a massage together and really sink into that holiday feeling. You can view our full treatment menu here. We also run fabulous specials every month, so be sure to enquire when you make your booking
- Sample the food scene. Knysna is home to a number of wonderful eateries and restaurants. First-time visitors might like to book a cruise on the John Benn, a double-decker floating restaurant that takes visitors past the Knysna Heads while they enjoy a delicious meal on board. This is an all-encompassing experience combining food, wine and must-see Knysna scenery. If you’re looking for something closer to home, our in-house eatery Island Café offers breakfast, lunch and dinner in an idyllic setting on Thesen Island’s canals.
- Enjoy a leisurely sunset cruise with The Turbine Water Club. Situated just across the road from our hotel, booking an excursion couldn’t be easier! They offer several water-based activities on or around The Knysna Lagoon, but sunset cruises are particularly romantic, wouldn’t you agree?
For The Animal-Loving Couple
Knysna is home to several animal sanctuaries that shelter creatures great and small – from mighty elephants to bright, colourful birds.
If being around animals and people who dedicate their lives to caring for them makes you happy, pay these places a visit and be prepared for an instant dose of dopamine!
- Knysna Elephant Park: Encounter these extraordinary animals up close and learn more about each individual from those who know them best. This experience will stay with you for a long time – elephants simply have the most humbling presence.
- Birds of Eden: Step into a flurry of colours when you visit this free-flight sanctuary that houses the bright birds of the Garden Route. This sanctuary is unique among its kind – it comprises of a 2-hectare dome that spans over a gorge of indigenous forest – the largest in the world!
- Monkeyland: Be prepared for giggles when you meet the mischievous primates of Monkeyland! Like Birds of Eden, it is a free-roaming sanctuary that houses many different species – from tiny squirrel monkeys to curious lemurs.
Image Credits (Below): Instagram | saasa_monkeyland | saasa_birdsofeden | knysnatrunkcall
For The Outdoorsy Couple
A visit to Knysna isn’t complete without getting outside and enjoying the scenery the Garden Route is famous for.
If it’s pristine beaches you’re looking for, here are a few of our favourites:
Alternatively, for those who love hiking, check out Day Hikes Near Knysna for three trail options ranging from easy to challenging right in our backyard.
A little further afield (about an hour’s drive away from The Turbine) we also have the Tsitsikamma National Park, a dream location where activities include keeping an eye out for wildlife (like the Cape clawless otter), diving, snorkelling, kayaking, hiking, swimming, climbing, abseiling, mountain biking, sailing and bungee jumping.
This segues perfectly to our next section…
For The Adventurous Couple
We see you, thrill-seekers. If adrenaline-laced activities are your love language, you couldn’t ask for a better holiday destination.
As mentioned above, The Tsitsikamma National Park is the perfect playground for those looking to push up their heart rates.
However, if it’s really thrilling stuff you’re after, consider the following:
- Bloukrans Bungy: Dropping 216 m from Africa’s highest bungy is one of the Garden Route’s most popular tourist activities.
Bungy jumping isn’t all that’s on offer at Bloukrans. There is also a gorge swing and an award-winning skywalk. At the end of the day, it’s all about heights, and that’s what we’re here for!
- Knysna Ziplines: Zip from platform to platform over deep gorges, past staggering ocean vistas and through indigenous forests. Book on their website.
A Paradise For Couples
Now, we know most couples are a combination of all of the above. You might be a thrill-seeker in the morning and a market-goer come evening. That’s the beauty of Knysna – there is so much variety.
Mix and match your itinerary as you see fit, combining activities you’ll both love.
Stay With Us
For a romantic couples holiday in Knysna, consider The Turbine Hotel & Spa, a luxury 5-star property right on the waterways of Thesen Island.
We look forward to welcoming you to Thesen Island and showing you all The Garden Route has to offer!